Chimney Sweep and Repair
Ultimate Fireplace and Chimney Solutions
While technological advancements have resulted in the introduction of electric and LED fireplaces – there is just something special about the traditional fireplace. Isn’t that right?
While a traditional fireplace can help you truly cherish precious moments in life and make lasting memories, an unclean and broken chimney can be a huge fire hazard.
According to research conducted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, about 25,100 chimney fires per year are responsible for approximately $126.1 million worth of damage in property, and up to a staggering 30 deaths! Let this sink in.
The National Fire Protection Association Standard 211 says, “Chimneys, fireplaces, and vents shall be inspected at least once a year for soundness, freedom from deposits, and correct clearances. There is no need to feel fearful of the chimney in your home as OHA Chimney Sweep and Repair is at your service.
OHA Chimney Sweep and Repair; Holistic Services for Your Chimney Sweep And Repair Needs
A frontrunner in the industry boasting experience of a massive 24 years, we at OHA Chimney Sweep and Repair know the hazards of an unclean chimney.
Yet, with our profound expertise, we also know what makes a chimney tick.
While it may be true that a large proportion of chimney fires – if not most – are caused by an unclean chimney; we are here to change the statistics and remove the ‘unclean’ from the chimney!
With state-of-the art equipment and professional staff, we take over your chimney needs; whatever they may be.
Whether your home is an older construction with a chimney that hasn’t been peeked into in ages, or the chimney has developed cracks and defects and simply isn’t working well – one call to us and feel your chimney issues vanish in the brink of a moment!
The Woes of a Chimney
As soon as winters commence, the warmth of the fireplace beckons all to come forth and enjoy.
However, if you have been using your fireplace day in and day out, one winter after the other, without any chimney maintenance – there are bound to be repercussions.
Let’s take it this way: If you continue driving your car past the 50,000 miles benchmark, without a motor oil change – what would happen?
Sludge builds up, and eventually your engine – the heart of your car – becomes damaged, and in need of a replacement.
The same will happen to your chimney if it not cleaned. Creosote can build up, and while there is no engine to suffer, something worse can happen; like a fire!
To understand the hazards of an unclean chimney, it is important to grasp How a Chimney Works:
- As the fire burns in the fireplace, gases are released into the air.
- Being lighter than their surroundings, these gases slowly ascend into the chimney.
- They travel through the chimney’s flue liner and out into open air, leaving soot behind. This soot is an amalgamation of many things, including the flammable substance “Creosote”.
If large quantities of Creosote accumulate on the walls, it could catch fire in high temperatures – with a chimney fire that could potentially engulf the house in flames if not stopped in its tracks.
What Happens if You Let Your Chimney Be?
A house fire is not all that you have to fear from a damaged or unclean chimney.
The main problem is the obstruction in safe passage of the gases into the air outside, and this can cause major issues if you simply let your chimney be as it is.
- Toxic Development
As soot and the toxic creosote lines the walls of the chimney, it also becomes a part of the air traveling in the chimney and the house.
Consequently, when you inhale – you are inhaling polluted air.
This can cause respiratory problems, as well as aggravate asthma of many.
- The Hazards of Carbon Monoxide
The burning of fire releases Carbon Monoxide in the air. But, when the chimney passage is obstructed, the gas ends up circulating within the home.
If inhaled in large quantities, it can damage your tissues and prove fatal in extreme cases.
In fact, death from Carbon Monoxide is the leading cause of fatal poisoning in the United States, and fireplaces are one its most common causes.
- Danger to the Skin and Eyes
If you come in contact with creosote debris, some will feel a burning sensation.
While the skin will be greatly irritated, the eyes will especially need immediate medical attention.
What We Offer
At OHA Chimney Sweep and Repair, we place the health and safety of our clients as our utmost priority.
Equipped with the right knowledge and expertise, we know exactly how to make your fireplace and chimney as safe as it can be; so, you can enjoy cold evenings by the fireplace, taking in the warmth over a cup of freshly brewed tea.
From sweeping your chimney squeaky clean to offering repairs in case of defected chimneys – you name it, and we have the solution for your chimney.
Our wide variety of services include:
- Chimney Inspections
- Masonry Fireplace Cleanings & Repairs
- Prefabricated Chimney Sweep & Repairs
- Flue Liner Replacement & Repairs
- Direct Connect Lining Systems
- Waterproofing & Sealing of Chimneys
- Flashing & J-Channel Sealing
- Insert Stoves & Free-Standing Stove Cleaning & Repairs
On the other hand, if you have any other issue with your chimney that doesn’t seem to lie in any of these categories – reach out to us and our expert team will put an end to your worries.
Why Call OHA Heating and Repair?
If your chimney has soot buildup and as in need of sweeping, you might think:
Why can’t I clean the chimney myself?
Our answer; of course, you can. But, the cleanup might not be as fruitful as you desire.
Sweeping a chimney requires:
- The ability to look closely into the chimney and identify areas in need of sweeping or repair
- The use of expert tools specifically designed for chimney sweep.
- A time consuming clean up as soot could come crashing down from the walls of the chimney to inside your home
Unfortunately, neither does the common man have the required tools lying handy to perform a successful cleanup, nor do they have the time for the cleaning of the fireplace and floor in case soot comes crashing through.
Also, relying only as far as the eye vision takes you, you might miss out on a major chimney area in need of sweeping/repair. This can cause a safety hazard in the future.
Therefore, calling us at OHA Chimney Sweep and Repair is your best bet to ensure no areas are overlooked and your chimney cleanup is effective with long-lasting benefits!
Expert Equipment for Top-Notch Services
Our team will enter your home with the best equipment to ensure you are satisfied.
How do we differ from an average DIY chimney cleanup?
- We used specialized tools like large soot vacuums, chimney brushes, hand grinders, etc.
- With our special cameras, we are able to look deep within chimneys to inspect chimney walls and soot buildup.
- We offer post-sweeping cleanup.
At OHA Chimney Sweep and Repair, prepare to only be greeted by the absolute best services, and nothing else.
Signs Your Chimney Needs OHA!
A full chimney sweep and repair is not a frequent endeavor.
So, when do you call us for our services?
CSIA believes that the optimal method for sweeping a chimney is by a mechanical brushing of the chimney in conjunction with a complete evaluation of the system by a qualified chimney professional. The CSIA and the National Fire Protection Association recommend annual inspections even when not using your system.
Look out for the signs:
- Soot Buildup: Take a peek inside the chimney and run your hand along the walls. If you feel a greasy substance – it may just be soot, and a reminder to ring us up.
- Noises from the Chimney: Chimney blockages can also be caused by bird nests than often appear in the chimneys and can obstruct the flow of gases.
- Foul Odors: When your fireplace seems to emit strong bad smells when not in use – it needs a cleanup.
- Lowered Flames: If it has become difficult to light your fireplace or the fire doesn’t appear as bright; soot or creosote buildup may be dampening your draft.
Apart from this, if your chimney has not been inspected and cleaned in a long time, reach out to OHA Chimney Sweep and Repair for an inspection and possible cleanup and repair if need be.
What to Expect in Our Chimney Sweeping Services?
Offering a simple process – our chimney sweeping services are as facilitative and easy as it gets.
They follow 4 simple steps:
Expert Chimney Sweeping
After you have booked a time with us, our team will let you know when they will show up for the inspection.
- Powerful lights are shone into the chimney for a look by the trained eye.
- If required, our closed-circuit cameras are used to locate flue liner & smoke chamber damage or obstructions that may need to be removed or repaired.
- We will inspect the mortar joints, bricks, stones, and shoulders of your chimney for cracks, moisture damage and structural integrity.
- The team also inspects your rooftop chimney flashing as well as your chimney crown at the top of the chimney.
Post-inspection, you will be told about the extent of services needed, and the time and cost if applicable.
Once a course of cleaning has been decided, your home is prepped accordingly for the chimney sweep.
- Relevant equipment is delivered to your home and set up
- The floors are covered with a plastic/dust sheet to avoid them getting dirty.
- All team members enter wearing shoe covers to ensure the cleanliness of your abode.
Expert Chimney Sweeping:
To begin with the sweeping process, we will start small.
- The chimney walls leading up will be delicately swept with chimney brushes to eradicate soot buildup
- The firebox & smoke chamber areas will be brushed by special brushes to ensure a proper cleaning.
- Large soot vacuums are used to take away the soot and other debris from your chimney into our vacuums and away from your abode.
The team can also decide to visit the rooftop and clean the top separately.
Post Sweeping Services:
Here to fix your air, we take your abode as our own and offer post-cleanup services.
The dust sheet is removed from the floors, leaving the floors spick and span.
In case of any soot remnants on the fireplace – they are carefully cleaned off.
Restoring and Repairing Damaged Chimneys
Taking care of chimney woes in their holistic sense, our system of inspection and sweep is transparent.
If we find leaky chimneys, faltering lining, or any other issues in your chimney during the inspection; our expert team will discuss your options to repair.
A sweeping service on an already malfunctioning chimney is not an effective use of your time nor money – and thus we aim to give you the best options.
The faults are disclosed to you post inspection, and possible repair and restoration ideas discussed with their cost structures.
You need only say yes to what satisfies your heart and budget – and leave the work to us as we bring in the powerful vacuums, correct brushes and proper tools to get the job done right the first time.
Utmost Customer Satisfaction – Or 100% Money Back Guarantee!
At OHA Chimney Sweep and Repair, customers are king.
We take over your chimney needs, and from sweeping to repair to maintenance, offer you all that you need to keep your chimney done and dusted.
What can you gain from our chimney sweep?
- Better draft & airflow
- Prevention from chimney fires
- Reduced soot & creosote buildup
- A glistening fireplace with heightened flame
- Prevention from health hazards
Most of all, our fireplace repair and cleaning service gives you peace of mind.
From the logs to the warmth, the cozy fragrance to the rustic feel; you can invoke the benefits of a fireplace like bringing the past into the present – without a hint of worry!
Traveling for Your Needs
Based in Virginia, we are the fireplace keepers to look out for when your chimney comes calling.
Whether you are based in a residential or commercial area, near or far away, one call is all that we need to get in our van and be on the road to offer premium chimney services.
Punctuality is our forte because we do not waste our customer’s time. Before our technician shows up, you will receive a text message with a picture of our technician and short bio telling you about them.
Book us for your chimney needs; and leave your fireplace worries to us.
Further to Note.
From the ground, this beautiful little chimney looked healthy, but once high on the roof, the deterioration is obvious. A deteriorating chimney can let water into your home and eventually weaken and potentially collapse. Have your chimney cleaned and inspected today for only $229. If your chimney does need work, we will apply the $229 towards the cost of the work we perform. We take pictures of the issues prior to starting any work.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How frequently does a chimney need to be swept or inspected?
As stated by the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA), a chimney needs sweeping as soon as there is 1/8inches of soot/creosote buildup.
The CSIA and the National Fire Protection Association recommend annual inspections even when not using your system.
Usually, this translates to a fireplace needing an annual cleaning & inspection when in use.
Q. What is the best time for chimney sweeping?
We can inspect and sweep your chimney anytime during the year but certainly before you use the chimney if you have any concerns.
Q. How much does a chimney sweep cost?
From repair to maintenance, there are a variety of factors that make up the costs of chimney repairs and cleanups. Thus, giving a range is difficult and can be misleading.
For information on bespoke chimney sweep and repair services, reach out to us at OHA Chimney Sweep and Repair for a quote.